I am very grateful with Flores, Tawney & Acosta, P.C. for all the hard work they have done with my case. They fought and fought and never gave up. They were always honest and very helpful. I’m truly blessed and grateful that I hired Flores, Tawney & Acosta, P.C. to represent me and I will recommend them to anyone because they do give up on you and fight with everything. Thank you Connie Flores and Daisy Chaparro for your hard work. I will always be very appreciative and grateful with both of you.
— Joe L.
Facing a serious injury after a truck accident?
Getting pressure from an insurance company to settle your case?
We understand how it feels – and we want to help.
Don’t talk to anyone about your case without talking to us first.
The personal injury lawyers at Flores, Tawney, & Acosta, P.C. have years of experience handling cases just like yours. We know how important it is to you – and we won’t leave you wondering what the next step is.
Reach out for a free consultation today.
Finding a Truck Accident Lawyer in New Mexico
Semi-trailer trucks cause far more than their fair share of devastating highway accidents. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that 13.9 percent of deadly accidents in New Mexico involved a semi-truck. This is true despite the fact that just 3 percent of all accidents include a semi-trailer.
The bottom line: large trucks are inherently dangerous. They must operate with the absolute highest level of safety in mind. The big trucking companies cannot put profits over people. Yet, far too often, trucking operations fail to live up to their legal duties.
A personal injury lawyer can ensure they do just that. The team at Flores, Tawney, & Acosta, P.C. are ready to help.
Call us today and we’ll set up a free consultation to discuss your case.
Were You Injured in an 18-Wheeler Accident? The Four-Step Checklist to Protect Your Rights
Unfortunately, many truck accident victims are unable to obtain a full settlement offer because they make mistakes soon after their crash or during the early stages of the claims process. To protect yourself from these errors, please follow our four-step truck accident checklist:
- Get medical attention: After an accident, you must seek professional medical assistance. Not only do you need to do this to protect your health, but it is important to preserve your right to file a personal injury claim.
- Secure evidence: Successful claims require strong supporting evidence. Try to take proactive measures to secure all evidence that is relevant to your claim. This includes taking photographs and getting witness contact information.
- Never admit fault: When speaking to an insurance adjuster, do not admit fault (even partial fault) for your commercial truck crash. Let your attorney deal with the issue of fault.
- Get legal help: Finally, the semi-trailer truck accident claims process is notoriously complex. You should not go through it on your own. Get assistance from a qualified truck accident lawyer.
New Mexico Statute of Limitations for Truck Accident
New Mexico law (New Mexico Statutes § 37-1-8) requires the filing of a commercial truck accident lawsuit within three years of the wreck. This is a strict deadline. After facing an injury from a semi-truck accident in New Mexico, act quickly. If you fail to initiate your lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires, your case will likely face dismissal. To protect your rights, call a Las Cruces truck accident lawyer immediately after a crash.
How to Prove Liability in New Mexico
New Mexico is a fault-based motor vehicle accident state. Under New Mexico law, plaintiffs must prove that the trucking company’s negligence contributed, at least in part, to an accident. Commercial trucking operations have high safety standards. Truck companies must comply with a wide range of state and federal safety regulations. If they fail to do so and a crash occurs as a result, they can and should be financially liable for any damages. Note that truck companies cannot avoid responsibility by simply blaming their workers. Commercial truck companies must ensure that they have licensed, trained, and safe drivers behind the wheel. Some common examples of trucker and trucking company negligence that can cause accidents in New Mexico include:
- Speeding truckers;
- Distracted driving;
- Truck driver fatigue;
- Violations of state/federal safety rules;
- Undertrained drivers;
- Poor hiring standards;
- Improperly loaded trailers;
- Inadequate truck inspection or maintenance;
- Truck/trailer manufacturer errors.
Ultimately, all successful semi-truck accident claims require a strong foundation of reliable evidence. After a semi-truck accident, it is critically important that you speak to a qualified New Mexico personal injury lawyer. They can conduct a thorough investigation of your crash and protect your rights. In most cases, the truck companies hold key evidence that you or your attorney should review. The process is much easier with an attorney’s assistance.
Injured Victims Deserve Financial Support
In New Mexico, injured victims may be eligible to recover compensation for the full value of their damages. That means both economic and noneconomic.
Sadly, in the real world, it is often difficult for injured truck accident victims to get the full financial support they deserve. Large truck companies and their insurance carriers fight claims hard.
No matter the circumstances of your case, it is likely that the defendant will try to settle your case for the lowest amount possible. They may even try to escape liability outright.
Our experienced New Mexico semi-truck accident attorneys have the skills and dedication to help victims maximize their offer or verdict. If you or your loved one was hurt in an eighteen wheeler accident in New Mexico, you may be able to get financial damages for:
- Ambulance fees;
- Emergency medical care;
- Other medical/hospital bills;
- Physical therapy;
- Loss of wages;
- Diminished earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress;
- Loss of limb;
- Permanent disability; and
- Wrongful death.
How Our Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help You
We have extensive experience handling truck accident injury claims in New Mexico. Our attorneys know exactly what to expect from the big truck companies and their insurers. We are ready to take on your claim from the days immediately following your crash all of the way to the day at which your case is finally resolved. Some of the specific things that we will do for you include:
- Gathering and assembling all evidence related to your case;
- Working with your doctors to ensure that you receive the proper treatment;
- Working with medical experts and accident scene recreation experts to establish liability and your damages;
- Using legal tools to get critically important information held by the trucking company. This includes electronic recording data, driver safety history and truck maintenance records; and
- Handling all negotiations with the insurer.
Request Your Free Case Evaluation Today
At Flores, Tawney & Acosta P.C., we fight aggressively to protect the legal rights and financial interests of commercial truck accident victims. After an accident in New Mexico, we can help. Please get in touch with our truck accident lawyers today at 575-222-1000 to schedule a free review of your case.